In the wake of the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, hygiene precautions need to be stepped up in everyday life.
The same applies to your watch. You will find our tips below, which can be followed alongside other strict hygiene measures, such as washing your hands frequently.
On parts made of metal, silicone, plastic, sapphire (the watch crystal or the back of specific watches):
- Wipe the watch surface with a lint-free wipe soaked with a hydro-alcohol solution, usually based on methylated spirits (a solution containing over 70% alcohol).
- Be sure to concentrate on the moving parts (e.g. bracelet links) and uneven areas of your watch.
- Then leave it to dry, without wiping the watch. The wipe is disposable and must be thrown away immediately after use.
For leather, rubber, cloth and plastic straps with decoration, as well as polymer watch crystals or case backs :
- Wipe with a lint-free wipe soaked in water with a little soap added to it. Avoid using an alcohol solution, which could cause permanent damage to these materials.
- Be sure to concentrate on the moving parts (e.g., bracelet links) and uneven areas of the watch.
- Then leave it to dry, without wiping the watch. The wipe is disposable and must be thrown away after use.
These measures cannot entirely guarantee a level of disinfection that is capable of eradicating viruses and germs, especially on delicate materials that cannot be cleaned with an alcohol solution, such as leather. However, they will make a contribution to maintaining a hygienic environment.